On the original building plans, the room behind the dining room was described as the parlour, but this room was often adapted for use as a morning room, breakfast room, study or for some other, similar purpose.

Drawing of a parlour
Drawing of a parlour

Evidence suggests that the parlour at The Regency Town House was used as a gentleman’s library. Archaeological examination has revealed the existence of large bookcases and that the plaster walls were originally decorated with a painted oak finish. This was regarded as an ‘academic’ colour and was used to suggest the intellectual status of the owner.

Drawing of library, August 1869
Drawing of a library, August 1869